Æ Halfpenny. 1666. Diameter 18.3mm. * ELIZABETH· WAPSHOTT· AT· Y around two men carrying a barrel. R. * AT· SEVERIES· DOCK· HED· 1666 around;in centre HER HALF PENY ·:· in four lines. BW 385; Norweb 5064; Everson 897. fair. RRR Ex J L Wetton, and Spink. About Fine-Fine.
Thompson and Dickinson say that the obverse type denotes the sign of pub or alehouse called 'the two brewers'.
St Saviours Dock. This, which is, confusingly, not in St Saviours parish is a small inlet-style dock on the south bank of the Thames, 400 metres east of Tower Bridge. The east side of the Dock is Jacob's Island.
Since its excavation the dock has now a maximum recorded tidal range of four metres.
Southwark. Although the area was settled in the Roman period when it was the lowest bridging point of the Thames the name ‘Suthriganaweorc’ is of Saxon origin and dates from the 9th century. In the Domesday Book of 1086, it is known as ‘Sudweca’ meaning "southern defensive work" the southern location referring to the City of London to the north, and Southwark was at the southern end of London Bridge where it had an ideal position, for not only did it lie on the main London to Canterbury road, but its position close by the Southwark end of London Bridge attracted water traffic.
British Tokens - 17th Century - London - Southwark - St Saviours Dock - The Two Brewers - Elizabeth Whapshott