Æ Farthing. 1665. Diameter 15.8mm. · RICHARD· RATHBORNE around; Prince of Wales plumes in centre. R. * IN· SHAD· TEMES· 1665 around; in centre St George on horseback left, dragon below. BW 403; Norweb 5071. Everson 927. Mediocre*. Rare. Bought M Chapple, a treasure hunter, August 1983 for £5.
*US customers please note that this is strict British grading,
Wikipedia says: this is a historic riverside street next to Tower Bridge in Bermondsey, and is also the name for the surrounding area. In the 19th century, the area included the largest warehouse complex in London.
The street Shad Thames has Tower Bridge at its west end, and runs along the south side of the River Thames, set back behind a row of converted warehouses; it then takes a 90-degree turn south along St Saviour's Dock. The street is partly cobbled.
The name may be a corruption of 'St John-at-Thames', a reference to St John's Church which once stood south-west of the street, where the present-day London City Mission is presently located. It might also derive from the shad fish, which could have be found in the Thames in earlier times.
Nothing is known about the issuer.
Southwark. Although the area was settled in the Roman period when it was the lowest bridging point of the Thames the name ‘Suthriganaweorc’ is of Saxon origin and dates from the 9th century. In the Domesday Book of 1086, it is known as ‘Sudweca’ meaning "southern defensive work" the southern location referring to the City of London to the north, and Southwark was at the southern end of London Bridge where it had an ideal position, for not only did it lie on the main London to Canterbury road, but its position close by the Southwark end of London Bridge attracted water traffic.
The end of London Bridge, on the Southwark side, was known as Bridge-foot and was frequently visited by Pepys.
British Tokens - 17th Century - London - Southwark - Shad Thames - John Canuty