Æ halfpenny, 1668. Diameter 21.5mm. * THOMAS* GODLEMAN* around; tree in centre R. * IN* CHICHESTER* 1668 around, HIS HALFE PENNY TGC in four lines in centre. BW 48; Norweb 5201. Fine.
Chichester is a cathedral city in South-East England on the River Lavant. Its name derives from the time when the settlement was taken from the inhabitants by the Saxons under Ella, whose son Cissa rebuilt it and called it Cissa’s Ceaster. It is the only city in West Sussex and is 72 miles from London and 17 miles from Portsmouth. It has a long history as a settlement from Celtic to Roman times and was important in Anglo-Saxon times. Its 12th-century cathedral was dedicated to Saint Richard, a former bishop of the city, and is the seat of the C of E diocese of Chichester. Its population was 8,270 in 1831, and in 2011 was 26,795. The city is a hub of several main road routes, has a railway station, a theatre, a hospital, museums and a local small airport. The Butter Market, opened in 1808 as a food and produce market was designed by John Nash. In 1900, a second storey was added to the building, originally housing an arts institute. The building has recently been renovated. Chichester has had some well-known Members of Parliament, including the runner, Christopher Chataway. William Cawley, born 1602 in Chichester, MP for Chichester in 1628 was a regicide and served on the Council of State during the Commonwealth, so following the Restoration he fled to Switzerland. A later MP for the town, William Huskisson was the first person to die in a railway accident, killed when he was run over by Stephenson's Rocket at the opening ceremony of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway.
From Wikipedia and other sources.
Sussex - Chichester - British Tokens - 17th Century tokens