Æ halfpenny token, n.d. Diameter 21.3mm. * GEORGE· KIDSON· AT· THE around, swan standing left in the centre. R. * IN· BARTON· VPON· HVMBER around, HIS HALF PENY · *· in centre. BW 11; Norweb — A quarter of flan weakly struck, otherwise Good Fine
NB All of the photographs of coins and books offered on our website are images of the actual item offered for sale.
We endeavour to grade our tokens strictly and to high standards to ensure your satisfaction.
Barton Upon Humber or Barton is a town and civil parish in North Lincolnshire. The population at the 2011 census was 11,066. It is situated on the south bank of the Humber estuary, at the southern end of the Humber Bridge. It is 46 miles (74 km) east of Leeds, 6 miles (10 km) south-west of Kingston upon Hull and 31 miles (50 km) north-north-east of the county town of Lincoln. Other nearby towns include Scunthorpe to the south-west and Grimsby to the south-east.
In the 17th century, it was a busy trading port, situated as it is at the northern end of the main arterial Roman road from the south of England to Barton/South Ferriby.
George Kidson was innkeeper at the Swan inn in Barton on Humber. He had three tokens struck, a halfpenny and two farthings. He married Elizabeth and they had five children.
His name is inscribed on one of the bells in St Mary’s church in Barton where he was one of the churchwardens in 1666.
George Kidson senior died in 1668.
The contents of this website including images are Copyright 2020 Galata - All Rights Reserved.