Æ halfpenny token, n.d. Diameter 20.5mm. * RICHARD· PARNELL· OF· EPWORTH around, * P * R · E * * * in the centre. R. * IN· THE· ISLE· OF· AXHOLME around, chequerboard in centre. BW 72; Norweb 2931. Both obverse and reverse have a corrosion patch, otherwise VF
NB All of the photographs of coins and books offered on our website are images of the actual item offered for sale.
We endeavour to grade our tokens strictly and to high standards to ensure your satisfaction.
Epworth is a town and civil parish in the Isle of Axholme, North Lincolnshire. The Isle of Axholme is so-called because, until it was drained by the Dutch engineer Sir Cornelius Vermuyden in 1627–1629, it was an inland island in the Lincolnshire fens, surrounded by streams, rivers, bogs and lakes. It is on the A161, about halfway between Goole and Gainsborough.
It is notable as the birthplace of John Wesley and Charles Wesley, their father, Samuel Wesley, being the rector there from 1695 to 1735.
The contents of this website including images are Copyright 2020 Galata - All Rights Reserved.