Æ Halfpenny. 1668. Diameter 20mm. * THO: PLANT· FARTHING· ALLY around; in centre a chequer board. R. * IN· SOVTHWARKE· 1668 around; in centre HIS HALF PENY in three lines. BW 226; Norweb 4910; Everson 592. Good Fine. Bought from Nigel Clark 9/1/90 for £50. Ex Whetton, ex B A Seaby, July 1968 graded as about VF, priced at 50/-
The issuer's name is not known.
Southwark. Although the area was settled in the Roman period when it was the lowest bridging point of the Thames the name ‘Suthriganaweorc’ is of Saxon origin and dates from the 9th century. In the Domesday Book of 1086, it is known as ‘Sudweca’ meaning 'southern defensive work' the southern location refering to the City of London to the north, and Southwark was at the southern end of London Bridge where it had an ideal position, for not only did it lie on the main London to Canterbury road, but its position close by the Southwark end of London Bridge attracted water traffic.
The end of London Bridge, on the Southwark side, was known as Bridge-foot and was frequently visited by Pepys.
British Tokens - 17th Century - London - Southwark - The Frying Pan -
The contents of this website including images are Copyright 2020 Galata - All Rights Reserved.