Æ Halfpenny. ND. Diameter 21.2mm. * IAMES· COWAN· LITER· MAN around; in centre, man rowing boat.. R. * AT. S. SAVERY· DOCK· HEAD around; in centre HIS HALFE PENNY ·:*:· in four lines. BW 370; Norweb 5057; Everson 882. Good Fine. Rare Ex Philip Greenall, Part lot 265. ex Baldwin's 1988 who priced it then at £75.
James Cowan was a lighterman. Ferrying goods and passengers across the River Thames was a lucrative trade.
St Saviours Dock. This, which is, confusingly, not in St Saviours parish, is a small inlet-style dock on the south bank of the Thames, 400 metres east of Tower Bridge. The east side of the Dock is Jacob's Island.
Since its excavation it has now a maximum recorded tidal range of four metres.
Southwark. Although the area was settled in the Roman period when it was the lowest bridging point of the Thames the name ‘Suthriganaweorc’ is of Saxon origin and dates from the 9th century. In the Domesday Book of 1086, it is known as ‘Sudweca’ meaning 'southern defensive work' the southern location referring to the City of London to the north, and Southwark was at the southern end of London Bridge where it had an ideal position, for not only did it lie on the main London to Canterbury road, but its position close by the Southwark end of London Bridge attracted water traffic.
British Tokens - 17th Century - London - Southwark - St Saviours Dock. James Cowan - Lighterman
The contents of this website including images are Copyright 2020 Galata - All Rights Reserved.