• Code 11602

MIDDLESEX Highgate Edward Cutler.


Æ Halfpenny. 1668.  Diameter 21mm.  * EDWARD· CVTLER· AT· YE GATE around; in centre, view of High Gate gateway.  R.  * HOVSE· AT· HIGHGATE 1668 around; in centre HIS HALFE PENY ·*· in four lines.  BW 95; Norweb 9177  Fair-About F*. *US customers please note that this is strict British grading.  Rare

Edward Cutler kept the tavern next to the gateway.

 

Highgate is a suburban area of north London at the north-eastern corner of Hampstead Heath, 7.2 km north of central London (N6).

Until late Victorian times it was a distinct village outside London, sitting astride the main road to the north. The area retains many green expanses including part of Hampstead Heath, three ancient woodlands, and Waterlow Park.  It is perhaps best-known for its Victorian cemetery in which Karl Marx and many other notable people are buried.

A survey of London in 1936 says that in 1670 Edward Cutler, gentleman, who then owned the Gatehouse, obtained 'a parcel of the waste at Highgate, adjoining to the Gatehouse, containing from east to west from the highway from Highgate to Islington (High Street) 30 feet and from north to south 12 feet.' On his death in 1680 his brother, Henry Cutler, gentleman, of London, obtained the property.  The arch of the gateway adjoined the tavern.

 

 

British Tokens - 17th Century -  Middlesex, later London  -  Highgate -


£0.00 £60.00
0 Rewards Points
QTY
Out Of Stock


The item has been added to your basket

Continue Shopping
Proceed To Checkout