Æ halfpenny token, n.d. Diameter 19mm. * ANTHONY· NEWLOVE· IN around, HIS HALF PENY in the centre. R. * HELPRINGHAM· MERCER around, grocers' arms in the centre. BW 118; Norweb 2943. Struck from broken dies, so centre weak, otherwise Fine
Anthony Newlove was the only token issuer in the village.
NB All of the photographs of coins and books offered on our website are images of the actual item offered for sale. We endeavour to grade our tokens strictly and to high standards to ensure your satisfaction.
Helpringham is a village and civil parish in the North Kesteven district of Lincolnshire. It lies on the edge of the Fens, 5 miles southeast of Sleaford. It is 2 miles south of Heckington and 2 miles north of Swaton, its neighbouring villages.
Kelly’s Directory of 1885 noted the parish area as 3,227 acres devoted largely to agriculture - the growing of wheat, barley, oats, beans, turnips, and seeds. The population in 1881 was 941. There were three chapels: Baptist, Congregational and Primitive Methodist. The main occupations at the time included 30 farmers, one of whom was a maltster, a market gardener, two coke & coal merchants, three machine owners, a wheelwright, two blacksmiths, a harness maker, a carrier, 2 carpenters, a bricklayer, 2 millers, 2 bakers, a miller & baker, 3 drapers and grocers, a butcher, There were three pubs: the Sun, the Willoughby Arms and the Nag’s Head and 2 beer retailers, one of whom was also a butcher. There were three shoemakers, one of whom was the registrar for births and deaths. One of the two tailors was also the clerk to the burial and school boards. A self-sufficient place!
The contents of this website including images are Copyright 2020 Galata - All Rights Reserved.