Æ Farthing. ND. Diameter 15.5mm. WILLIAM· ALLEN· IN around; in centre crowned bust of Charles II left. R. * GLEEN· ALLEY· SOVTHWARK around; in centre A above W M BW 232 Norweb 4914; Everson 602. Ex Spink auction 51 16 April 1986 Part lot 163. Green patina, fair.
Glean Alley was off Tooley Street, near London Bridge. It is now lost beneath London Bridge Station.
Southwark. Although the area was settled in the Roman period when it was the lowest bridging point of the Thames the name ‘Suthriganaweorc’ is of Saxon origin and dates from the 9th century. In the Domesday Book of 1086, it is known as ‘Sudweca’ meaning 'southern defensive work' the southern location referring to the City of London to the north, and Southwark was at the southern end of London Bridge where it had an ideal position, for not only did it lie on the main London to Canterbury road, but its position close by the Southwark end of London Bridge attracted water traffic.
The end of London Bridge, on the Southwark side, was known as Bridge-foot and was frequently visited by Pepys.
British Tokens - 17th Century - London - Southwark - The Kings Head -
The contents of this website including images are Copyright 2020 Galata - All Rights Reserved.