Æ Farthing. 1665. Diameter 15.7mm. * WILLIAM· PANTOLL· IN around; in centre ST. THOMAS IS in three lines. R. * NEAR· YE· WHITE· HART·:· ; in centre P ·above W*E 1665 around. BW 395; Norweb 4889. Everson 915. Fair - Abt. Fine. RR. Ex Col. B Lowsley (Sotheby 1899), ex J L Wetton via Spink, August 1990 for £30.
The White Hart, Southwark
Wikipedia says : An inn at the sign of the 'White Hart' was established in medieval times on Borough High Street, Southwark. It is mentioned by William Shakespeare in Henry VI, Part 2 as the headquarters of the rebels in Jack Cade's 1450 Kentish rebellion. Louis L'Amour mentions the Southwark White Hart in 'Sackett's Land', an historical fiction taking place circa 1600. It became one of the many famous coaching inns in the days of Charles Dickens, and it was here that Sam Weller met Mr. Pickwick in the famous scene from The Pickwick Papers, chapter 10. The Inn was pulled down in the 19th century. It was next door to The George Inn and near the site of The Tabard.
St Thomas's church is named after Thomas Becket. St Thomas Church, Southwark was part of the original St. Thomas's Hospital which was located to the area around the present St Thomas Street, from the infirmary at St Mary Overie priory in 1212. The hospital was therefore also an Augustinian house. The hospital/conventual precinct became a parish no later than 1496. The pilgrimage to Canterbury began at London Bridge. The church was rededicated to St Thomas the Apostle following the abolition of the Becket cult at the Reformation. The present church was rebuilt by the Hospital Governors to designs by Thomas Cartwright in 1703.
Nothing is known about the issuer.
Southwark. Although the area was settled in the Roman period when it was the lowest bridging point of the Thames the name ‘Suthriganaweorc’ is of Saxon origin and dates from the 9th century. In the Domesday Book of 1086, it is known as ‘Sudweca’ meaning 'southern defensive work' the southern location referring to the City of London to the north, and Southwark was at the southern end of London Bridge where it had an ideal position, for not only did it lie on the main London to Canterbury road, but its position close by the Southwark end of London Bridge attracted water traffic.
The end of London Bridge, on the Southwark side, was known as Bridge-foot and was frequently visited by Pepys.
British Tokens - 17th Century - London - Southwark - St. Thomas's - William Pantoll
The contents of this website including images are Copyright 2020 Galata - All Rights Reserved.