• Code 12300

LONDON (St Katharines). Robert Aske, Salter.


Æ Farthing. ND. Diam. 15.8mm.  * ROBERT· ASKE· IN around a crown in centre.  R. * ·S· KATHERNS· SALTER around; in centre R*A   BW (London) 2591; Norweb 8384.  Dark toned, fair-F*. 
*US customers please note that this is strict British grading.

St Katharines
In 1147 the Royal Hospital of St Katharine was founded, on the orders of Queen Matilda. Later, a Church was added and a community that became known as St Katharine’s developed.  Part of the land was sold to allow the Tower Of London to build the east side of its moat and the area developed into a community with housing, industry, breweries, orchards, a school, court, and a prison.  Being close to the River Thames it had a dock from the 14th century.
The ancient Royal Hospital, Church and more than four thousand local inhabitants were moved for the new Telford Docks to be built, opening in 1825. The Royal Hospital and Church were relocated to Regent’s Park. 
In 1968, when the docks were closed, the area was cleared of war damaged and derelict buildings.  Modern offices were built in place of the old warehouses and they now accomodate two thousand commodity traders, and the Reuters News Agency.  While the  rest of the area was given over to luxury flats, shops and and the yacht marina that we know and cherish.
On the site of the ancient Hospital a Starbucks Coffee Shop was built.


£0.00 £24.00
0 Rewards Points
QTY
Item Sold - No longer in stock


The item has been added to your basket

Continue Shopping
Proceed To Checkout