• Code 270424-3

Nottingham Corn Exchange. Subscriber's ticket, 1850.


Æ 38.5mm diameter, weight 20.71 grams.  Nottingham Corn Exchange Company around, cruciform shields of arms in centre, ears of corn in angles.  Rv. Subscribers Ticket  above and below inner circle, within which, 1850.  D & W p.92, 354.  W.TB3. 2626.  Good VF/VF                                       

“The Corn Exchange, Thurland Street, was opened in 1850. It comprises an exchange room, 77 feet by 55 feet, and nearly 40 feet high, a clerk’s office, a news room, with suitable offices, and a residence for the housekeeper. The approach is by a large inner portico of colonnade, communicating with the main room by wide folding doors in the centre, and with the office and principal staircase by doors on the side. The room is lighted by a series of span roofs, entirely glazed with cast plate, and supported by truss beams with illuminated bows, and with brackets resting on carved stone corbels. The ironwork is made ornamental by gilding, and by being painted blue. There are forty-five stalls of elegant construction. The exterior of the building presents a substantial and respectable appearance, and is executed in brick-work, with moulded stone dressing. The style of architecture is a combination of the English and Italian, and is after the type of an old Latin school-house, near Ashby-de-la- Zouch, which is said to have been built by Sir Christopher Wren. The building cost, altogether, £3,000. The news room is approached by a stone staircase, with arcades on each side, of clustered columns, which are made of polished Derbyshire spar marble.”  White’s Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853.
The building is still there, now called “O’Reilly’s club and bars.”

                                   


    


£0.00 £40.00
0 Rewards Points
QTY
Item Sold - No longer in stock


The item has been added to your basket

Continue Shopping
Proceed To Checkout